Friday, May 29, 2009

Finally my internet isnt being a sklut!! (skank and a slut) :)

- How is Persepolis organized and structured? How is her childhood emphasized and describe the drawings…
Well to start off the book Persepolis is organized into a graphic novel. She, Marji being the main character of the book, narrates the novel. You see the very key parts of her childhood that made her how she is today. Every picture shows you something that Marji learned from someone in her family, a major or minor event, or a story told by someone. She centers almost this entire book on the war and how it has impacted her as a child. She really emphasizes her curiosity I think. The drawings add to the narrative of the story by showing you what’s actually happening. The saying a picture is worth a thousands words pops into my mind. The pictures are a vital part of this story, they help make it a little more real.

- What kinds of captivity and freedom does the author explore in Persopolis? What prevents from being free and how do they defy the rules?
I think that all of the rules and restrictions they have to live by show the type of captivity in this novel. People are not free to say what they want because if they have the “wrong” opinion then they will get punished. The freedom you see in this book is self-created. By the people rebelling and living their normal lives is the only freedom we see. Having all of the rules and restrictions is what I think prevents them from being free. When they do rebel they do so in small secretive acts. Examples of small secretive acts would be going to parties, listening to banned music, and drinking alcohol. Some of the other things they do that are a little more public are their protests they go to and the women wearing the veils showing a little bit of hair. They try very hard to keep doing these small acts of rebellion because if they didn’t then they would all be the same and life would be boring and there would be no point.

- “In spite of everything, kids were trying to look hip, even under risk of arrest”. How did they do this? What would I have done?

Well Marji for example wore punk clothes and loved punk music. She even went down to the black market and bought tapes of Camel and Kim Wilde. Her parents even encouraged it. They smuggled illegal things in for her from Turkey. She went to her parent’s parties and even went to one rally. If I had been in her position I think I would have rebelled too. I couldn’t see giving things up that meant so much to me just cause some idiot didn’t like it. I mean seriously. I would have rebelled and I think my parents would have supported it to some degree as well. Just as long as I didn’t get caught id be fine just fine. LMAO. Some acts of rebellion as a teen?? Lets see, well I don’t do a whole lot of rebelling. There are small things I disagree with and I think are stupid. Like for one not being able to bring in a bag for gym… you have to carry your clothes. Geez I didn’t stop carrying my bag. Ummm .. not having cell phones in school, really in a time like today do they really expect kids to listen to that. Idk there are small things all the time that I guess I rebel against but nothing to huge or nothing that will get me in huge trouble. And plus if I did get in some type of trouble it would be for me sticking my ground and I could care less if that happened. Satrapi is just like a normal kid because all she’s doing is telling her story from her point of view so that others will know what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment